TxDLA Keep Connecting: Episode 11
TxDLA Keep Connecting webinars are led by distance learning experts providing a toolbox of immediate needs to our members and the distance learning community during this time.
Note: This summary is live-blogged from the session so you can quickly scan the content. The time stamp for the video is included in parenthesis to help you get to specific quickly.
- Dr. Tracy Spencer, Instructor, Lamar Institute of Technology
The Four Ps of Hospitality
- Presence [8:40]
- Weekly announcement
- Detailed and specific feedback in a sandwich format (praise, what you need to work on, praise)
- Need to have many different ways for them to contact you. Students can communicate through the LMS. Younger students prefer texting. Uses Burner app which masks your phone number. Tripled student engagement.
- Use email when need to submit an attachment.
- Presence is both students and teachers. Multiple due dates throughout the week.
- Extra credit in the first week for students who text.
- Personality [16:37]
- Personalize classes with a theme in Blackboard.
- Use a funny video or meme for stress relief.
- Add a quote in the email signature such as a quote, song lyrics, or scripture.
- Use Canvas for providing video feedback. Authentic video is best.
- Perseverance [23:00]
- Growth mindset and need to reset the mindset of “I’m not good at that”.
- Learning zone vs. performance zone
- Provide second chances or avenues of hope especially for freshman who are learning so many new things at the same time.
- Patience [30:30]
- During the regular semester, the deadlines are hard set.
- Adjustment during this time, additional flexibility.
- Many students are sharing devices or have additional responsibilities.
- Need to have a good reason for extensions.
Addition Conversation [37:00]
- Have students learn to use the LMS in a face to face class. Some students question why they have to submit assignments online.
- Students and teachers seem to struggle most with patience and presence is the easiest. The twice a week requirement has helped student success.
- Rhonda suggests adding purpose as the 5th P.
If you need help transitioning to a simple, flexible, and dependable video communication solution, we can help.