- Dr. Kentya Ford, Faculty, Department of Health & Kinesiology
- John Starne, Instructional Designer
The Problem [7:00]
The original issue that John and Kenya collaborated on was turning a face-to-face class into a hybrid class because students were not reading the assigned chapters.
- Students needed more time to work in groups for concept mastery.
- Traditional lecture was not working.
- Cell phones were a major distraction. (This is why they chose to use physical clickers instead of the app running on the phone.)
- Only a few students actively participated in traditional Socratic lecture methods.
- How to best convert this class to a hybrid course to provide more flexibility to students.
The Solution [10:44]
- Transformed parts of lecture into assignments to view before class. (Used Canvas Studio)
- Adapted in class interactions to pre-test comprehension
- Assess in class understanding
- Increase class participation (for a grade)
- Encourage instructor modality switch every 7-12 minutes using a slide to prompt for student interaction.
Examples of Questions from Class [13:34]
Actual question samples that were used in the kinesiology class. Goal of Dr. Ford is for students to understand and enjoy the content.
- Always begin with the end in mind. Make sure that students are solid in their understanding of the content.
- Each class begins with a question to check understanding from the previous classes.
- Polling response used to give students open-ended
- Can run this with a second monitor, can see the individual responses live as they are coming in.
- There is a PowerPoint plugin.
- Clickers looked like the original Blackberry. Also there is an app to use with a smart phone. Apps are licensed to use with the TurningPoint software.
- At first students looked at them like there were “old tech” after the first class, they enjoyed using them.
Resources and Links
Note: This summary is live-blogged from the session so you can quickly scan the content. The time stamp for the video is included in parenthesis to help you get to specific quickly.
The TxDLA Keep Connecting webinar series is sponsored by i2i Technologies. New episodes currently scheduled for Tuesday and Thursdays at 11:30 AM Central.
If you need help transitioning to a simple, flexible, and dependable video communication solution, we can help.