TxDLA Keep Connecting: Episode 13
- TxDLA Keep Connecting webinars are led by distance learning experts providing a toolbox of immediate needs to our members and the distance learning community during this time.
Note: This summary is live-blogged from the session so you can quickly scan the content. The time stamp for the video is included in parenthesis to help you get to specific quickly.
From Delaware County Community College, Division of Innovation, Teaching & Digital Learning Excellence
- Alexandra Salas, Ph.D., Dean
- Tina Payne, Education Technology Support Specialist
Online ER: Transition Triage
Data Collection & Outreach [8:40]
- What needed to be moved online and when?
- Needed to assess instructor skills.
- Needed to assess tools and technologies already in place.
- Using the data and resources provided a plan to move forward. Coordinated among the departments.
- Data from Canvas to indicate which instructors needed help with what courses.
Faculty Training [11:00]
- Quick Start Sessions – Give them exactly what the need at the moment to get them going. How to add syllabus, how to publish the class, started at the basics.
- Continuous polling and asking what else they needed.
- Second week added “Open Lab” sessions through video conference to provide face-to-face. How to use Zoom, how to upload materials, etc. Recorded these sessions to share asynchronously, too.
- Trainings based on what the faculty needed to know. Different types of trainings. [17:00] Chunking of the content so they could pick exactly what they needed at that time.
- Quick Start
- Canvas How To
- Managing and Creating Content
- Live and Recorded Lectures
- Open Labs
- Panel Discussions
- Used an instructional design approach. How do you teach your class? How can we use remote tools to do that?
- Created an explainer video to explain what Remote Learning is. Shared what is synchronous, hybrid, online through this engaging video to continue to educate and inform.
Student Training [23:40]
- Created a resource for students that worked through the life cycle of the student through the lens of the LMS.
- Repurposed and repackaged so that it is also available to students.
- The Start To Finish Resource (Student Resource Guide) to share information from applying to the college, preparing for the semester, all the way through to student life. (Built in Canvas)
- Goal: Clarity and Uniformity and instructors can import it into their courses if they need it.
Ongoing Support [28:30]
- How to help constituents use their toolkits
- Be flexible to meet their needs.
- One resource area listing all of the Quick Start Faculty Resources to save time.
- The faculty likes to hear from the support staff rather than have to go find things. Prefer a curated list of resources.
- People enjoy the videos more than the documents.
- Used the tools to create the teaching and learning supports to model for faculty how to use them.
The TxDLA Keep Connecting webinar series is sponsored by i2i Technologies. New episodes currently scheduled for Tuesday and Thursdays at 11:30 AM Central.
If you need help transitioning to a simple, flexible, and dependable video communication solution, we can help.